The link below will give you an overview of the Incredible Years BASIC Parent Program
- Two parent group facilitators lead between 10-14 parents in weekly sessions that last for approximately 2-2.5 hours each for 14 weeks.
- Typically food, childcare, and transportation are provided for each session.
- The parent group facilitators use a variety of methods to build relationships with the parents and lead them in learning positive parenting practices by using:
- DVD vignettes of parents and their children
- Goal setting and problem solving
- Skills training and practice
- Group brainstorming to identify social learning principles and effective strategies
- Role play and behavioral rehearsal
- Homework assignments including practice and reading
- Weekly leader phone calls to parents
The Incredible Years BASIC Parent Program is based on principles of video modeling, observational learning, rehearsal and practice, self-management, self-reflection, and cognitive self-control.