The Incredible Years
Not sure if The Incredible Years is a good fit for your community? Watch this brief video to learn the basics.
The Incredible Years® programs, developed by Dr. Carolyn Webster-Stratton, are proven effective for reducing children's aggression and behavior problems and increasing social competence in home and school settings. The EPISCenter provides technical assistance for PA providers of the Incredible Years® thanks to support from the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. Please see the official developer's website, Incredibleyears.com, for official information about the program.
Incredible Years® Training for Parents:
- The Basic Parent Training prevention model is a universal program for parents of children ages 3-12 years. Over 12-20 weeks it emphasizes parenting skills known to promote children's social competence and reduce behavior problems such as; child lead play, effective praise, and limit setting.
- The Advance Parent Training program consists of 10-12 additional sessions that build on the Basic program. It emphasizes parent interpersonal skills such as: effective communication skills, anger management, problem-solving between adults, and ways to give and get support.
Incredible Years® Training for Children:
- Classroom Dinosaur Curriculum: For a variety of ages, these programs emphasize skills such as emotional literacy, empathy or perspective taking, friendship skills, anger management, interpersonal problem-solving, school rules and how to be successful at school.
- Small Group Dinosaur Curriculum: For preschool, kindergarten, and primary school children ages 4-8 years with behavior problems. This program is designed to be implemented by counselors, therapists, or special education teachers to treat children with conduct problems, ADHD, and internalizing problems. It is delivered in 2-hour weekly small group sessions (6 children per group) for 18-22 weeks.
- Ideally it is offered in conjunction with the two-hour weekly parenting program group sessions so parents have an opportunity to foster their children’s learning in Dinosaur School in their interactions with them at home.
- For more detail about implementing the two components together, see this one page fact sheet.
- Small Group Outcomes Summary 2010-2019
- Have a question about IYS in Pennsylvania?
- Email email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
- Classroom Dinosaur Implementation Questions
- Small Group Dinosaur Implementation Questions
- Basic Parent Program Implementation Questions
- Advance Parent Program Implementation Questions
IYS Logic Models
- Classroom Dinosaur Logic Model
- Small Group Dinosaur Logic Model
- Basic Parent Program Logic Model
- Advance Parent Program Logic Model
- IY Intervention Program Logic Model
For communities that are considering implementation of the Incredible Years® these tools can help guide the decision making and planning process
- Classroom Dinosaur Readiness Tool
- Small Group Dinosaur Readiness Tool
- Basic Parent Program Readiness Tool
- Advance Parent Program Readiness Tool
Training and Materials for The Incredible Years® Providers in Pennsylvania
PCCD and the EPISCenter will continue collaborating with providers and the Incredible Years® developer and trainers to offer a series of trainings in Pennsylvania. There are two main goals for this collaboration:
- Decreased Training Costs: By ensuring that each training is fully utilized and avoiding travel to Seattle PCCD will be able to decrease the overall costs to providers for Incredible Years® training. Lower costs mean that our state prevention dollars are stretched to serve more families and youth.
- Enhance the Pennsylvania Incredible Years® Learning Community: By inviting providers across the state to come together for training we increase the opportunity for networking between providers. Facilitators can share lessons learned and build relationships that will allow them to access each other throughout their implementation of the model.
Part of high quality implementation is assessing program impact and fidelity to the model. Below are tools and resources provided by the EPISCenter to assist in collecting, analyzing, and communicating this data.
- Data Collection Processes
- Evaluation Tools for IYS
- Fidelity Verification Process
- Preparing to Submit a Video for Review
- Outcomes Report Guidance and Template
Find a variety of resources to support your implementation of the Incredible Years® below.